The Joe and Lydia Jimenez Charitable Trust presented a gift of $50,000 in 2009 to be held in an endowment fund known as “The Joe Salazar Memorial Golf Scholarship Endowment Fund” for the purpose of providing College Scholarships.
About Joe Salazar Jimenez (June 10, 1926 to August 11, 2007): Joe Jimenez played on the PGA Tour in the 1950’s, 1960’s and 1970’s. His best showing in a major Championship was a T-45 at the 1958 U.S. Open. The highlight of his career was winning the 1978 PGA Senior’s Championship in a playoff over Manuel de la Torre and Joe Cheves with a birdie on the first extra hole of a sudden-death playoff. Joe Jimenez holds two of golf’s “shoot below your age” records. At the 1991 GTE Northwest Classic, a Senior PGA Tour event, 65 year old Jimenez became the youngest player to shoot his age or lower in a tournament on one of golf’s major professional circuits by shooting a 63. This record was later broken when 61 year old Walter Morgan shot a 60 in the AT&T Canada Senior Open Championship. Jimenez still holds the most strokes below age record. He shot a 62 during the 1995 Ameritech Senior Open and the age of 69.
First Tee - Greater San Antonio Scholarship Criteria:
- Must be an active member of First Tee - Greater San Antonio.
- Must be Eagle Certified in First Tee - Greater San Antonio Certifying Program as of April 18, 2018.
- Must have completed the junior year of high school and rank in the upper part of his/her class scholastically. Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Must enroll at a college or university of his/her choice. Community colleges are eligible.
- Must have outstanding personal character, sportsmanship, and leadership qualities.
- The amount(s) of the scholarship(s) will be based on the number of entries and selections per year. Maximum is $1,000 per year with multi-year (4 maximum) eligibility if College GPA of 3.0 is maintained each year. (Maximum payout would eventually be $4,000 a year).
- First Tee - Greater San Antonio scholarship committee will make the final selection of eligible members.
For more information or application, please contact Greg Klemm at [email protected].